22 January 2012

Linde Family Wing for Contemporary Art

Had a great time at the MFA the other day but unfortunately we were not able to see the new wing at the Gardner.  They were closing in 20 minutes and would not let us in.  We could have seen at least the space in that amount of time, but they were right to not let us in because I'm sure it is amazing in there and we would have lingered and eventually have to be shooed out.

Going through my images from the MFA I found myself continuously coming back to this:

I liked these two pieces and remember reading something about them being contemporary comments on the 18th century Rococo movement.  But... there was so much to see and I rushed past only stopping to take a photograph and look more closely for probably 30 seconds.  I've searched a bit for the artist information for both the chair and the ceramic sculpture but have not found what I am looking for.  I believe that they are located within the Jeanne and Stokley Towles Gallery.

Here in an installation view of Kiki Smith's Lilith.  Kiki Smith is such an art goddess for me;  her work is beautifully morose coupled with a deeply feministic soul.


Detail view of Lilith
1994
Silicon Bronze and Glass

This piece by Smith refers to the Jewish folklore where Adam and Lilith were made by God of the same earth and were husband and wife.  Lilith did not stick around though because Adam would not view her as an equal; cue Eve being made out of Adam's rib.
Lilith was long viewed as a spirit dangerous to men and children but has been more recently reinterpreted as a symbol for female strength and independence for obvious reasons.  If you think this piece is a little creepy, then you haven't seen anything yet.  You really need to see this one in person, when you get up close, her eyes give you a real jump.  All that bronze, and then suddenly incredibly lively glass eyes.

After the MFA Jasmine and I headed over to Thaitation for some birthday lunch!  Yes we were out to see some great art, but on my end I was also keeping Jasmine away from home where a surprise birthday party was being set up for her! 




Me trying to get work done first thing in the AM = not happening according to Winston Churchill.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Yep, Google Image searched for a shot of the eyes and they scared the crap out of me. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete