12 June 2009

Looking

More from this artist.

The textures in this piece immediately grabbed my attention and it wasn't until after loving that for a while that I even noticed the figures.  This is an important aspect of painting for me; creativity with the actual medium weighing equally or more than the concept of the piece.  While I can appreciate a great conceptual piece, I truly love getting lost in a medium.  My recent floral pieces have been celebrating this; which has also been a much needed break from more conceptual work. 
For years I was beginning paintings with a lot of time focused on what I was trying to say before I ever touched a brush.  I appreciate this method and by no means have thrown it out, but jumping into the paint straight away thinking of only design has been liberating.  I plan on doing three to four more florals, two random pieces I've already promised and then hopefully I'll have time this Summer to begin working on a few pieces which subtly begin in concept but having that be only perhaps 20% of the work.
Now the only thing is to get more nice days so I can set up my materials on the balcony.  I suppose I could use the attic on rainy days like these though.

2 comments:

  1. idk how to "follow" you. you have to add it to your sidebar similarly to adding an aplication

    ReplyDelete
  2. up in the top tool bar where it has your log in name, sign in/out, search.. there is a button you can click that says follow blog.

    ReplyDelete