20 April 2009

Culture

I've been thinking a lot about culture and how it is involved in my life.   I grew up as an "Irish Roman Catholic" and now consider myself an "Atheist Mutt" (in the most loving way of course)
So how do these things blend together and how are the other cultures that touch my life interwoven?  I have a large percentage of Swedish blood as well and I identify as an American;   but as a person with no Native American blood am I allowed to claim that as part of my personal identity?  Although my family was not yet in the Sates when the Europeans drove out and murdered the Native Americans, my family has been in the country for long enough for me to accept that as part of MY cultural history.  I feel as though I am more closely linked to that than I am to say the Irish famine. 

Here is the first touch of my research for these thoughts.
Irish Pieces:

Swedish Pieces:

 Native American Pieces:

No comments:

Post a Comment